Courses Effectiveness Analysis in a 3rd Party Online Learning Marketplace
Client has a partnership with edX, a third-party online learning platform with global appeal, to publish courses on edX. The syndication team wanted to understand the level of engagement of global audience with the client’s existing courses published on edX. Gauging the level of engagement helps to determine the effectiveness of courses among global audience and adopt best practices to their native platform
- Data was extracted and studied from JSON strings on edX using string functions in SQL to identify available data elements, check completeness & accuracy.
- EDA was performed to identify the right test group for the study on user groups.
- Two user groups were identified to perform study such as the users who signed up on edX prior to the window of enrollment into client’s courses and the users who signed up on edX & enrolled for client’s courses.
- Exhaustive analysis was conducted on both user groups; the team designed a user engagement index to measure the user groups’ engagement with the courses.
- Multiple hypotheses were tested for all user segments.
- Analyses outputs were evaluated, and findings were summarized. Additional deep dive analyses were performed to derive insights at a granular level wherever required.
Courses published on edX tracked a higher completion which reflected a higher engagement. Courses were well structured complemented with shorter videos and integrated assessments. Availability of course completion certifications came out as a leading driver of user engagement. More geographical reach & Diverse user roles added to the mix.
- Instructed the syndication team to introduce Certifications, shorter videos & integrated assessments on client’s native platform.
- Motivated users & instill brand value.
- Initiated talks with other global platforms Coursera, Udemy etc.
- Extended global reach and facilitated technology adoption.